Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pants / Currant Syrup / Blueberry Muffins recipe!

I finished Fabe's pants, they are so cute!  I used this demo here, it is very thorough and well written.  It was actually pretty easy, they are not perfect, but hey, they are my first pants!  This is exciting to me because many times it takes me overcoming one intimidating hurdle before I can go on to learn and grow.  I have thought about making pants for the kids or myself a few times but have been too afraid to start, now I feel a little more confident and knowledgeable.



                                                               
                                                                    My little model!



I made black currant syrup with some currants I had frozen earlier this year.  It is WONDERFUL!  I am certainly making it again.  It is tangy, berry-y, with a hint of a mysterious musky flavor that just teases you. And it is the most beautiful dark, dark red. 


I have been adding it to yogurt.  Seven Stars yogurt is so good!


We made blueberry muffins last night!  They were divine.  Addy likes to cook with me, but last night was the first time she was looking at my collection of recipes and really asking me about them.  I am glad I wrote many down and saved clippings for her to have someday, I know she will be a good cook.  




No Fail Muffins
2 1/2 c flour
2/3 cup sugar (or 1/2 c honey)
1 T baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 lg egg
1 1/4 cup milk or yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup oil or melted butter
1 cup berries, pumpkin, or whatever

Mix dry ingredients together.  Mix wet ingredients together. Combine everything and stir no more than twenty times, or they will have tunnels and be tough.  Bake at 400 degrees for 18 - 20 min in a muffin tin.  

Muffins are one of the first things I learned to bake and I know this recipe now by heart. It is not too fussy. Other good ideas are lemon/ poppyseed, lemon /cranberry, coconut/ pineapple,  nuts/ cranberry, peach, pumpkin ( a good way to use leftover squash), more that I cannot think of right now.  

Although I have to admit that we have been slowly cutting out gluten more and more, and I have not had a large bready item like a muffin for a while.   I could feel it later.  Bummer, now I need to make or find a new low-gluten recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment