Friday, June 24, 2011

Make Your Own Bug Spray!

I have been making this for a while and it really works! It is really summer now and the bugs are getting worse. Poor Fabian was attacked by some mosquitoes the other night while we were in the field.  Those darn things!  I almost started a fire to keep them away because they wouldn't leave him alone.  I finally remembered to get a spray bottle while I was out today and make some repellent.

It is nice to have a repellent free of questionable chemicals, especially for expecting mamas or little ones.




How to make your own bug spray:
  • 2 oz (about 2 shot-glasses worth)  witch hazel or vodka
  • about 30 drops of essential oil ( any combination of tea tree, eucalyptus, peppermint, clove, cinnamon, or citronella)
  • about a tablespoon of castile soap ( I used eucalyptus bronners)
Put all ingredients into a spray bottle, shake and use when needed.  I like this little bottle to take with me so I can reapply if I want to.  This stuff is not sweat or rain proof so if you are going to be outside for long you will likely need to reapply. It is also not as strongly effective as deet stuff.  So if you are going on a long hike near a swamp or are honeymooning in the Amazon, I would probably grin and bare it with the chemicals.

There are probably lots of other bug repelling ingredients that I haven't come across, I would love to hear any other ideas for keeping bugs away naturally.  Happy summer nights!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Carla! I love reading your blog and seeing the pictures of the clarion, reminds me of growing up there and riding my bike to go swim. THanks for the bug spray idea, we are heading to sequoia national park tomorrow and I didn't know what to do for Emmett except use tea tree. I am going to try the sprayer! Keep up the great work and spreading the consciousness in the community there. So proud of you guys! Much love! Love Shannon P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shannon! I hope you guys have a great time camping. It is Emmett's first time right? So fun!

    ReplyDelete