Thursday, June 9, 2011

Children's Literature corner time

I try to usually have a nighttime reading ritual with the kiddos.  We are pretty good with keeping up with it, sometimes not as much, but I do feel it is helpful when we read.  It is relaxing for us both and eases the transition to bedtime while instilling a love of books in the kids. 

We recently finished The Bread Sister of Sinking Creek and it was wonderful.  It is historical fiction, adventurous, and has nice characters.  The best part is it takes place in 1700's central Pennsylvania.  You know by now how I love my state and its history.  It was great to try and picture what it would have been like in the pioneer days.

The author came to Addy's school this year and did some storytelling with the classes.  We had the option to order a book from him signed to your child and I knew Addy would like that.  He encourages interest in storytelling and focuses on that being part of the book reading experience.  There is more books in this series too and I can't wait to read them all.  I think the age range would be from 8 - 12.  Some of the adventurous parts got to be a little intense and I wondered how Addy would react, but she was fine. 

Another children's author I just found out about is Hayes Roberts.  The age range for his books that I have seen is much younger, probably 1 - 5 (or 27! look who is writing about it!). The stories are a bit weird but cheerful, and they seem to have a light lesson. His artwork is so great.  The characters in his stories are very cute monkeys, dragons and blue goats and bison.  Also he has a wonderful website that I have been exploring on and off these last few days.

I am in the process now of choosing which coloring pages or books I want to download and color with Addy.   I think I am going to try this one first.  Monkeys, dragons, bats, and castles...awesome!!




           I love his trees.


Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment