Monday, April 25, 2011

I tried a new curry!

We love Indian food here, it is on our table at least once a week.  I usually make some kind of mixed veggie curry, or some greens with a creamy coconut curry and naan or rice.   I mostly make these dishes for Zeb and I while Adela is at school because she isn't a big fan, that was until I tried making Korma!  Here is the recipe that i worked off of, just making a few adjustments.  I will give you what I did below.
toasting shredded coconut, poppy seeds and sesame seeds - it smelled wonderful!
toasted mix plus yogurt - this was the best part, i could have eaten this with a spoon!
add yogurt/seed mixture to braised veggies


serve over rice, yum!
 Here is my recipe but really this would be good with any mix of veggies: eggplant, potatoes, kale, collards, turnips of course, etc. 


Rutabaga, chard and mushroom korma

1 large rutabaga diced
1 cup mushrooms sliced
3 leaves swiss chard roughly chopped
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic diced
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp ground coriander
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp coconut
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup broth or water

First toast the coconut, poppy seeds and sesame seeds in the pan.  Remove and mix with the yogurt, set aside. Saute the onions and rutabaga in some oil for a few minutes (it is alright if there are a few seeds still in the pan). Add all seasonings and stir.  Add garlic, mushrooms, and chard and saute until chard is wilted.  Add broth and simmer until rutabaga is cooked through, about 10 minutes.  Add yogurt/seed mixture back to pan and stir again.  Serve over rice.  Add pinches of salt here and there along the way, i like my curries kinda salty

We loved this, enjoy! 


3 comments:

  1. This looks good and it looks like it's quick to make. I was just in the grocery store thinking that I haven't tried to make indian food in ages. I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, this looks good! We've been eating curry a lot too recently. Do you have any good recipes that use beans/lentils?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do! I love garam masala red lentils. Just boil some red lentils in broth with chopped onions and garlic until they are tender. Add garam masala seasoning ( I use a mix i bought somewhere) and coconut milk (the thick kind in a can) and your done! that is a wintertime favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete